July 23, 2012

Easy Calzone Rolls


I can't believe it's been a month since I've updated anything! I know I've been MIA for awhile here on the ol' blog. Honestly, I haven't been making anything new lately. I've been pretty lazy in the kitchen and have decided to opt for meals that come together easily and are ones that I pretty much have memorized (i.e. tried and true recipes that are already in the archives). I did make these calzones which were both easy, inexpensive, and kid-friendly. This recipe reminded me of something my mom used to make all the time called 'sausage bread'. My mom's variation is a bit more labor-intensive, so I only make it once in a blue moon; usually for a special occasion. Needless to say, we only get to experience my mom's recipe once or twice a year at most.

I don't remember exactly when we had these...it's been a few weeks. However, I DO remember that this was a hit and we all really liked this fun version of a classic calzone.


Easy Calzone Rolls
Adapted From: DisneyFamily.com


Ingredients:
2 loafs frozen bread dough, thawed
1/2 pound sliced ham (I used prosciutto)
1/2 pound sliced hard salami
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (I used 1 cup mozzarella and 1 cup cheddar)
1 cup jarred marinara sauce

Directions:
Roll each loaf of dough into a rectangle about 8 inches by 12 inches.

Layer ham and salami down the center of each rolled loaf lengthwise.

Top meats with 1 cup shredded mozzarella for each roll.

Fold short ends of each loaf in about 1/2 inch and seal. Roll from the long sides and pinch well to seal the entire loaf. You should have 2 long rolls.

Bake, seam side down on a greased baking sheet in a 375 degree F oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.

Cut each roll into 8 slices and serve with marinara for dipping.


No comments: