August 11, 2012

Healthy Banana Bread

I've updated my standard Sour Cream Banana Bread recipe to be a bit more healthful, so I wanted to re-post the recipe with the new and improved update. Whenever we have this this banana bread on hand, it becomes our go-to breakfast on busy mornings. My family seems to love a slice of this banana bread, some fresh fruit, and a cup of milk (coffee for the grown-ups) to start off their day. I like knowing there is a a bunch of nutrition packed into every bite. My only complaint is that I can't make the loaf last in my house past a couple days, since everyone eats it up so fast!!!


Healthy Banana Bread
Adapted from:recipezaar.com/recipe #9351 by Charishma Ramchandani

Ingredients:
1/2 cup of butter, melted and cooled
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup AP flour
1/2 cup flax meal (I use Bob's Red Mill brand)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup mashed, ripe banana (about 3 bananas)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (chocolate chips make an excellent substitute, as well)
1/2 plain 0% fat Greek-style yogurt

Directions:
1. Grease 1 large loaf pan.
2. In a separate bowl, cream together, melted butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla.
3. Add dry ingredients, and mix to combine.
4. Add mashed bananas, nuts, and yogurt.
5. Mix well and pour into loaf pan.
6. Bake at 350 F for 1 hour.

No comments: