August 29, 2012

Easy Homemade Applesauce


My kids inhale applesauce...so much so, that I can never keep it stocked. To say they love it would be an understatement! Since we were out of the store-bought kind, I decided to try my hand at homemade applesauce. I had everything in my pantry for this recipe, so making my own turned out to be a lot more efficient than I anticipated. Then, I was amazed at how much better the homemade tasted over the jarred stuff! Also, I really like knowing what goes into it, ingredients-wise...there are no weird science-fiction words in the nutritional data when I make homemade. Next time, I'll need to double the recipe because my homemade applesauce is almost already gone. As predicted, the applesauce has left the building.

Easy Homemade Applesauce
From: Six Sisters' Stuff

Ingredients:
4 apples - peeled, cored and chopped
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I used 1 tsp; we like it full of cinnamon)

Directions:
In a saucepan, combine apples, water, sugar, and cinnamon. Cover, and cook over medium heat for 30 to 40 minutes, or until apples are soft. Allow to cool, then mash with a fork or potato masher (I blended mine in the pot with my immersion blender).

No comments: