August 13, 2012

Ham Melts



I am notoriously anti-ham. So much so that it's turned into a running joke among our family and friends. It's strange because other pork products are fine; it's just something about ham that I really dislike. I really can't explain my aversion, other than it's a taste/texture/color thing. So why am I posting a recipe for Ham Melts then??? Good question, readers! I really can't explain it, other than something happened with this recipe that *might* have changed my opinion ever-so-slightly.

I saw these sandwiches on Pinterest a few months ago and immediately thought "EWWW!". No way, no how. Then, every once in a while the photo popped up in my Pinterest feed, taunting me. They did look kinda good...I mean besides the ham factor. I'm sure my family would like them and melty cheese can cover a lot of sins, I thought to myself. I could substitute prosciutto (which I l-o-v-e) and make them less "hammy", I rationalized. Hmmmm...I'll try it, I decided. Well, once I started buying ingredients I wondered if the ham added something to the recipe that prosciutto couldn't. I decided to throw caution to the wind and do a ham/prosciutto combo. (I'm very daring sometimes.)

Oh man, I'm glad I did. These. were. fantastic. Ham and all!!!! I was shocked. Regular ham has not touched my lips since childhood. This was the first time in years that I was able to eat and enjoy my sworn porcine enemy. Seriously, these were the best sandwiches we've tried in awhile and I learned something about myself in the process; namely to 'keep an open mind'. Don't get me wrong, I won't be running out and joining any "I heart ham" fan clubs anytime soon (well, unless it's a fan club for handsome, sexy, heartthrob, actor Jon Hamm), but I will be a teeny tiny less vocal about my disgust for ham and may even consider having it again in the right context (like these sandwiches).


(See?!?!!! Jon Hamm is delicious, too.)

Ham Melts
Adapted From: beyerbeware.blogspot.com via Pinterest

Ingredients:
1 package of 12 Hawaiian sweet bread rolls
1 onion, minced finely or grated
1 stick of butter
3 Tablespoons of Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce
3 teaspoons of poppy seeds
1/3 pound of shaved ham
1/4 pound of prosciutto
8 slices of Swiss cheese


Directions:
Melt the butter in a small sauce pan and add onion. Combine Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and poppy seeds in melted butter. Simmer for a several minutes to infuse the butter mixture with flavor. Slice rolls as a group and place bottoms on a 9 x 13 foil-lined pan. Spread 3/4 of the onion/butter mixture on the roll bottoms. Add the ham and prosciutto in an even layer. Top with Swiss cheese slices and bun tops. Spread the remaining onion/butter mixture over the tops of the sandwiches. (At this point you can cover with foil and refrigerate until ready to bake, if needed.) Remove foil and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

No comments: