January 24, 2013

Toasted Coconut Tilapia with Fruit Salsa


My kids are starting to trickle downstairs and interlope (i.e. cling), so I need to make this post short and sweet. I think my peaceful, computer time has come to an end. I will have to update the other recipes I have at another time. ::SIGH::

This recipe was a great version of tilapia and I loved it paired with my favorite fruit salsa (pineapple-habenero salsa, to be precise). I didn't go through the trouble of making the pomegranate salsa that the recipe indicated, but I might next time...especially if I don't have any of the pineapple-habenero salsa stashed away in my freezer. This time, I did have the aforementioned fruity salsa, thanks to my wonderful, beautiful, fit, and magnanimous friend, Claire. (She brought me some back from a recent family trip to Flagstaff.) Thanks Claire!!!

One more note...

I do want to mention that the husband hates coconut, so I coated his fish in Panko breadcrumbs instead. The texture was similar and it kept him happy.

Toasted Coconut Tilapia with Fruit Salsa
Adapted From: How Sweet It Is website via Pinterest

Ingredients:
4 tilapia filets
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 lemon, cut in half
3 tablespoons coconut oil
1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
Top with your favorite fruit salsa or see below salsa recipe

salsa:
1 tomato, chopped
1/2 red onion, finely diced
1/2 cup pomegranate arils
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
the juice of 1/2 lime
the juice of 1/2 orange
1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions:

To toast coconut, add to a saucepan over low-medium heat and stir, cooking for about 4-5 minutes. As soon as mine starts to turn golden, I use a wooden spoon and toss continuously until it's evenly toasted. Set aside.

Season tilapia on both sides with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium to medium-high heat and add coconut oil. Once the oil is completely melted, add tilapia and cook until the edges are opaque, about 3-4 minutes. Using a spatula, gently flip the fish. Immediately cover in half of the toasted coconut mixture, and as the fish cooks the coconut will somewhat "adhere" to it. Once the tilapia is easily flaked with a fork, remove it from the skillet and top with the remaining toasted coconut if desired. Serve with pomegranate salsa on top!

For salsa:
Combine all ingredients together and mix! Can be stored in the fridge for 2-3 days.


No comments: