January 26, 2013

Beef Shish Kabobs


This was a fun family dinner that totally amused my kids. I think it's the idea of eating stuff off of a stick. The marinade was really universal (I think I already have a similar one that I use regularly for chicken) and it complimented the meat and veggies perfectly. My only caveat is that I would do this on an outdoor grill next time. I did it with an indoor grill pan, and it took way too long and had to be babysat the whole time. I think the process would have gone much smoother if I would have used our gas grill outside. In my defense, we had one week of freakishly cold temps here in Arizona, so grilling outside would have been really uncomfortable. I just wasn't willing to brave the winter weather. Sorry, I'm just not acclimated to tolerate any kind of actual "winter". Anyway, we served these kabobs with a side salad over a bed of brown rice pilaf. Yum, yum.

Beef Shish Kabobs
Adapted From: SAOrganics website via Pinterest

Ingredients:
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons apple-cider vinegar
2 small onions, chopped see savings
1 clove garlic, minced see savings
3 tablespoons chopped candied ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
3 pounds rump roast or sirloin-tip roast, cut into 2-x-2-x-1/2 -inch pieces see savings
2 large green bell peppers, cut into chunks see savings
1 large sweet onion, cut into chunks
1 container of whole button mushrooms, cleaned

Directions:
1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients except meat and vegetable chunks.

2. Place meat in a shallow dish. Pour sauce over meat to coat. Cover dish with plastic wrap. Marinate in the refrigerator for 4 hours, or overnight.

3. Preheat grill to Medium (300 to 350 degrees F). If using wooden skewers, soak in water for 5 to 10 minutes.

4. Place meat on skewers, alternating with chunks of bell peppers, mushrooms, and onions. Brush kabobs with remaining marinade.

5. Grill kabobs, covered with lid, over direct heat for 10 to 15 minutes per side until desired doneness is reached, turning occasionally and brushing with additional marinade during cooking time. (Do not brush cooked meat with marinade that has come in contact with raw meat. Such marinade should be boiled for at least 1 minute before using on cooked meat.)

No comments: