March 8, 2013

Grilled Veggie and Hummus Wraps



We used to have vegetarian recipes 2 to 3 times per week, when my kids were smaller and couldn't really complain about eating all vegetables for our main meal. I say "used to" because this practice has sadly become a thing of the past. I don't remember why we stopped eating more vegetarian selections, but I really wished we wouldn't have. Now, if I put anything out of the norm in front of them, the picky little buggers stage a revolt. I know if I would have been diligent about having vegetarian dinners in the regular rotation, then it wouldn't be such a struggle now. ::SIGH::

Needless to say, all three of my precious offspring poo-poo'd this dinner. Yeesh. The tears and hunger strike that was staged at my house on this particular night made dinner especially heinous. It really was a shame that my kids didn't like it, because my husband and I really loved these wraps. The recipe was really good, but in the interest of honest disclosure, I wanted to give you the low-down on what I like to call "the kid factor". Maybe your kids will be more open-minded??? Or maybe you don't have kids and don't care about catering to picky little eaters??? Either way, don't let "the kid factor" deter you from trying these wraps. They are very good, and as much complaining as my little darlings did about this dinner, it won't stop me from serving this meal again.

Grilled Veggie and Hummus Wraps
Adapted From: Cooking Light, April 2012

Ingredients:
2 large portobello mushroom caps, cleaned and stems removed
4 (1/2-inch-thick) slices red onion
1 red bell pepper, seeded and quartered
1 (12-ounce) eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1 (8-ounce) container plain hummus
4 (1.9-ounce) whole-grain flatbreads (such as Flatout Light)
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese

Directions:
Heat a large grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush mushrooms, onion, bell pepper, and eggplant with 1 tablespoon oil. Add mushrooms, onion and bell pepper to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until grill marks appear. Remove from pan. Add eggplant to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until grill marks appear. Remove from pan; coarsely chop vegetables. Combine vegetables, remaining 1 tablespoon oil, parsley, and salt; toss to combine.

Spread 1/4 cup hummus over each flatbread, leaving a 1/2-inch border around edges. Divide vegetables over each flatbread; top each serving with 2 tablespoons cheese. Roll up wraps, and cut diagonally in half.

No comments: