March 8, 2013

Honey Sesame Chicken



It's a rainy day and my kiddos and I are snuggled up on the couch watching a Mickey Mouse movie. Since the movie is more suited for the 3-year-old set, I figured I'd do some multitasking and get some blogging done at the same time. Sorry, Mickey.

I really have no earthly idea when we had this dinner; I think it may have been back in January. I remember it was really tasty and easy, as it was done in the slow cooker. Other than that, I've got nothing. I really need to get recipe updates on here closer to when we actually have the meal. I've noticed that if I don't my mommy-brain kicks in and I don't have any remnant details of the dinner stored in my recent (or not-so-recent) memory. Not to mention, trying to identify and track down a recipe from an old photo is a pain in the buttocks. Thankfully, this one is from my friend Claire's blog so it's was bit easier to track down. It looks like this was originally adapted from a blog found through Pinterest, but I pretty much just followed what Claire did and copied her version.

Honey Sesame Chicken
From: Cooking Claire blog


Ingredients:
1 to 1.5 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Salt and pepper
3/4 cup of honey
1/2 cup of low sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
Cornstarch
Sesame seeds

Directions:
Place the chicken breasts in the crockpot insert and sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides.
In a medium sized bowl, combine honey, soy sauce, ketchup, oil, garlic powder, onion powder, and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine well. Pour over the chicken in the crockpot.

Cook on low for 3-4 hours or high for 1 1/2-2 1/2 hours.

When done, remove chicken and cut into chunks. Prior to putting the chicken back in the stockpot, combine some cornstarch in water and whisk it into the crockpot to thicken up the sauce a bit. Throw the chicken back in and stir around to recoat the chicken in the sauce.
Serve hot over a bed of white rice or quinoa (optional) and sprinkle some sesame seeds on top.

No comments: