April 15, 2013

Bacon-Wrapped Cod



I've been trying to go back to having more fish in our diet. Trying is the operative word in that sentence. It's funny how, once I get out of the habit of something, it's really hard to get back into it. We used to have fish once or twice a week. Now, not so much. I would say I serve it sporadically, at best. It's sad too, because I LOVE seafood. I'm not sure why, either. I guess maybe it's because it is never on the forefront of my mind when I menu plan (much like vegetarian dinners). Whatever the reason, I need to give myself an open reminder to plan more fish dinners. I don't really remember when we had this cod recipe or in what context, but I do remember it was very tasty and everyone--including children--liked it a lot. I think I found it by doing a search on MarthaStewart.com for cod, since I had bought a bag of frozen at Costco and I needed ideas on how to prepare it. Since we all loved bacon, it was a no-brainer. The recipe is pretty straight-forward and I remember it was pretty easy to put together for a weeknight dinner.

Bacon-Wrapped Cod
Adapted From: marthastewart.com

Ingredients:
1 skinless, boneless cod fillet (1 1/4 pounds and 1 1/2 inches thick)
Coarse salt and ground pepper
12 strips bacon (about 12 ounces total)

Directions:
Cut fish into 4 pieces and season with salt and pepper. On a work surface, arrange 3 slices bacon so they overlap slightly. Place a piece of fish at one short end and tightly wrap with bacon, cutting off any excess bacon. Repeat with remaining fish and bacon.

Heat a large nonstick pan over medium-high. Place fish, seam side down, in pan and cook until bacon is deep golden brown on all sides, about 9 minutes, turning occasionally.

NOTE:
My frozen cod came already portioned into fillets, so I skipped the cutting step and went right to the wrapping step.

No comments: