April 15, 2013

Slow Cooker Salsa-Cream Cheese Chicken

My son has mid-week t-ball games scheduled right in the middle of our normal dinnertime. I am beginning to understand that this is the norm for kids' organized sports, but it still annoys me to no end. I decided on game nights I would pull out the slow cooker and make something that was relatively easy to pack up and take to the ballpark. This is another recipe idea that I found floating around on Pinterest. (Actually there was no official recipe source; it just a random suggestion that I pinned on how to put this together.) I took the basic concept and then morphed it into something that worked for us and the ingredients I had on hand. It turned out to be really satisfying burrito filling and very portable once it was all wrapped up in tortillas.

Slow-Cooker Salsa-Cream Cheese Chicken
Adapted From: Pinterest

Ingredients:
1 block of cream cheese, softened
2-3 chicken breasts
1 jar of salsa
salt and pepper, to taste
1 tsp of cumin
1 tsp of coriander
1 tablespoon of chili powder
1 can of pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 onion, sliced
2 cloves of garlic, minced

Directions:
Mix softened cream cheese and salsa together in a bowl and set aside.

Combine the rest of the ingredients in a slow cooker. Pour salsa mixture over top of the other ingredients. Cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 8 hours in your slow cooker. Once cook time is over, remove chicken breasts to a bowl and shred with two forks. Add shredded chicken back to the slow cooker and mix to combine. Serve cooked mixture over brown rice or as burrito filling with tortillas.


No comments: