July 18, 2008

Hamburgers, Potatoes, and Glazed Carrots

Tonight is a no-frills dinner. I wanted something quick, since I knew I would be out most of the morning with Connor's last swim class and a Moms Club event. Also, it is ridiculously hot outside today. I have decided that it is too hot to fuss over dinner. This is a standard fall-back recipe,which I make quite often...just varying the protein element. It is literally just hamburgers on the grill, Yukon gold potatoes microwaved until soft (poke holes in the potatoes first), and carrots that are peeled, sliced, and steamed. We use standard baked potato fixings such as butter, salt, pepper, shredded cheese, and sour cream for the spuds.
The only semi-interesting thing I do with this meal is make a simple glaze for the carrots. After the carrots steam until fork-tender, I put them in a bowl with a couple tablespoons of butter, a pinch of kosher salt and another pinch of plain white sugar. That is it. I think we will grill the burgers outside, so as not to heat up the kitchen with the indoor grill pan. Also, I will serve the burgers with the standard mustard, ketchup, and mayo on whole wheat buns. I think we are out of sliced cheese...so just plain, old hamburgers for us tonight.

No comments: