July 25, 2008

Marlboro Man's Favorite Sandwich

Well, I figured out what to do with the hamburger. I know, I know...you all were on pins and needles. I got this recipe from the Pioneer Woman website and it has become a staple at our house. The title refers to Pioneer Woman's husband...they call him the Marlboro Man. Strange, yes...but if you visit the website you will understand.
This sandwich is really easy and super flavorful. The original ingredients list calls for cube steak, but I decided to change it up and use (drum roll, please) hamburger. I made a couple of minor adjustments, besides the hamburger...just see the notes below. As anticipated, this was as yummy as the original version. Fresh corn on the cob and baked potatoes rounded out this meal.

Marlboro Man’s Favorite Sandwich
2 to 3 pounds cube steak (tenderized round steak that’s been extra-tenderized)
(--OR-- Jen's version: use 1 lb. ground beef )
1 large onion OR 2 small/medium onions
4 French/Deli rolls
Butter, man (see directions for quantity)
Lawry’s Seasoned Salt, to taste
½ cup Worcestershire Sauce
5-6 shakes Tabasco

-Slice onions and cook in 1/4 stick butter until soft and light brown. Remove and set aside.
-Slice cube steak against the grain. Season with Lawry’s to taste.
-Heat 2 TBSP butter over high heat (in same skillet) until melted and beginning to brown.
-Add meat in single layer. Cook one side until brown, then flip and cook until brown, about a minute on both sides.
-Add ½ cup (at least) Worcestershire sauce, 5 to 6 shakes Tabasco, and 2 TBSP butter. Add cooked onions. Stir to combine.
-Butter halved French rolls and brown on skillet.
-To assemble, lay bottom half of French roll on plate. Place meat mixture, followed by a spoonful of juice from the pan. Top with other half of roll, cut in half, and devour!


Jen’s Notes:
As indicated, I substituted 1 pound of ground beef for cube steak. The only other deviation I made was that I reduced the amount of Worcestershire to about 1/3 of a cup and then added another 1/3 cup of beef stock. I wanted to tone down the Worcestershire flavor just a little and diluting it with the beef stock was perfect. I let it reduce and thicken for a few minutes on medium high heat to give the sauce a nice consistency. I put a couple cloves of minced garlic in this time, too. Why? Heck...why not! Other than that everything else was the same.

If you do not like spicy food, only put 1 or 2 Tabasco shakes in this dish. I hate to tell you to leave it out all together, because the Tabasco flavor really does add something to this sandwich. I say, be brave and leave it in...just use less.

No comments: