August 30, 2008

The Result: Jen's Mexican Chicken Casserole Surprise

YUM! My invention turned out great. It will definitely be something I make again. I loosely based it off of Claire's enchiladas and another recipe she introduced me to, Taco Crescent Bake. I was very pleased with this hybrid.
Surprisingly,I started this blog after I tried the Taco Crescent Bake recipe, therefore it is not posted on here. However, Claire does have it posted on her blog so you can see what it is all about. I am telling you, I copy her recipes way too much. I recipe-stalk her! That is why I had to be creative on this one. I needed to try and go out on my own...be my own person...make my own meals...I can cook something original, on my own. Now, I can confidently return to my stalking without guilt or shame; at least for a little while. Really, it was all about clearing my conscience. Without further ado, here is my ORIGINAL recipe.

Jen’s Mexican Chicken Casserole Surprise

Ingredients:
1 can of crescent rolls
2-3 small corn tortillas, torn into bite sized pieces
1 diced onion, divided
1 cup canned Pinto beans (or leftover Jen’s Pinto Beans)
2 cooked chicken breast, diced into bite sized cubes
1 cup of frozen spinach, thawed and drained
1 cup Monterrey jack cheese, divided
1 cup of crushed tortilla chips, divided
Cooking spray
Fresh diced tomatoes for garnish

For white sauce:
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
½ teaspoon Ancho chile powder
1 chipotle pepper, seeded and diced finely
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon lime juice
½ cup sour cream
2 Tablespoons milk
8 ozs cream cheese, softened
½ cup of plain yogurt
1 4 oz can of green chiles
Salt and pepper to taste


Directions:
1) In a bowl, mix together the following items to make the white sauce: ½ the amount of the diced onions, minced garlic, chipotle pepper, green chiles, sour cream, milk, yogurt, lemon juice, lime juice, cream cheese, cumin, coriander, chile powder, salt and pepper. Whisk until well combined. Set aside.
2) Coat 9 x 13 glass casserole dish with cooking spray. Unroll unseparated crescent dough sheet and press into bottom of greased casserole dish, making sure to press perforated holes closed.
3) Sprinkle a handful of crushed tortilla chips over the crescent roll sheet bottom (this will prevent the crust from getting soggy during cooking).
4) Spread pinto beans into an even layer over the chips and crescent dough bottom.
5) Sprinkle ½ cup of shredded cheese and the other ½ of the diced onions over the beans.
6) Tear corn tortilla into bite sized pieces and place evenly over cheese layer.
7) Spread spinach over tortilla bites into even layer
8) Place the cubed chicken on top of the spinach, covering evenly.
9) Pour white sauce over the chicken, spreading with a spatula, in an even coating.
10) Sprinkle remaining shredded cheese (or more if you prefer) over top
11) Sprinkle more crushed tortilla chips over cheese layer.
12) Bake uncovered for 30 minutes @ 350 degrees.
13) Let cool for 10-15 minutes before cutting. Garnish with fresh diced tomatoes and enjoy!

No comments: