September 5, 2008

Artichoke Scrambled Eggs Benedict

I ate a really big and yummy lunch today and I feel like I am going to pop. My friend Claire and I took a trip out to Babies R Us with our kids, and we stopped at my favorite Greek restaurant(appropriately names My Big Fat Greek Restaurant) for lunch. They have great lunch specials, and KIDS EAT FREE! Yes, FREE! Oh man. Not only is their food awesome, but my little rug rat had all the free macaroni and cheese and applesauce his little heart desired. I had a falafel pita and Greek fries, just in case you were wondering. What are Greek fries you ask????? Oh man. French fries smothered with Parmesan and Feta cheeses and various spices. As if these fries were not decadent enough, they come with a lemon-yogurt dipping sauce. I drool just thinking about them. They are ridiculously good. Their falafel is really yummy, too. I get it every time. I always want to try something else, but I am hooked on their falafel...it is like crack. Claire tried their Chicken Sovlaki pita and said it was great. All for just a couple bucks more than a fast food lunch. Sigh...good food makes me such a happy girl.

Since I am literally going to implode, I thought I would make something light for dinner tonight. I found this recipe on the Eating Well website, and thought I would give it a shot. I wanted something vegetarian with eggs in it, because I am in the breakfast for dinner type of mood. I typically just make frittata, but I thought I would at least branch out a little bit. My last few nights of cooking have been recipes that I have made before, and I feel like trying something new with minimal effort.

This dish seems easy enough and I have all of the ingredients on hand, with a couple substitutions. First, I am going to substitute mushrooms for the bacon. I am soooooo not in the mood for bacon, and I want to keep this vegetarian today. Also, I don't have artichoke bottoms...I have a jar of artichoke hearts instead. The recipe notes indicate those can be substituted in a pinch. I will probably cut down the number of eggs, too. 6 eggs and 4 egg whites seem like a lot, so I think I will use one or two less of each.

I am kinda looking forward to this recipe, so I hope it meets my expectations. I will let you know how it comes together.


Artichoke-Scrambled Eggs Benedict

Makes 4 servings

Ingredients

8 canned artichoke bottoms (1 ½ cans), rinsed (see Shopping Tip)
4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
3 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano, divided, plus 4 sprigs for garnish
⅓ cup chopped pancetta or bacon OR MUSHROOMS FOR VEGETARIAN VERSION
2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon water
6 large eggs
4 large egg whites
2 tablespoons reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel)
¼ teaspoon salt

Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Toss artichoke bottoms with 2 teaspoons oil and 2 teaspoons oregano. Place them top-side down on half of a large baking sheet. Spread pancetta in an even layer on the other half. Roast until the artichokes are just beginning to brown and the pancetta is crispy, 12 to 14 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, whisk mayonnaise, yogurt, lemon juice and water in a small bowl until smooth. Beat eggs and egg whites in a large bowl.
4. Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the eggs and cook, folding and stirring frequently with a heatproof rubber spatula until almost set, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and fold in cream cheese, the remaining 1 teaspoon oregano and salt.
5. To serve, divide the artichoke bottoms among 4 plates. Top each artichoke with equal portions scrambled egg, crispy pancetta and creamy lemon sauce. Garnish with oregano sprigs, if desired.


Tips

Shopping tip: Artichoke bottoms can be purchased in 14-ounce cans found near other canned vegetables. If unavailable, substitute two 14-ounce cans rinsed and halved artichoke hearts.

1 comment:

Claire said...

This sounds yummy! I read the recipe before reading your review, so I'm excited to see what you thought.

We call breakfast for dinner brinner. :)