September 5, 2008

The Result: Artichoke Scrambled Eggs Benedict

This dish was exactly what I was looking for! It was just right. Not too heavy and the flavors were perfect. The preparation was pretty easy, and the result was totally satisfying.

I made some significant changes to the recipe, so you could say that I ended up using the original recipe as just a template. I am glad that I only had one jar of artichoke hearts, because if there were any more it would have overpowered the dish. Although, mine were marinated in spices and olive oil so that could account for the stronger flavor. I did rinse them to compensate for the pre-seasoning, and that did help. I used my toaster oven to bake the artichoke hearts, as directed in the recipe. I did not want to heat up the whole house, and the quantity I used was just the right size. I coated them with cooking spray and added a little extra dried oregano, then baked at 425 degrees for about 10 minutes. When they were done, I scooped them into a bowl and set them aside.
Then, in a skillet I put a tablespoon of olive oil and I did a quick saute on onions and mushrooms with some thyme, salt, and pepper. When everything was starting to brown, I put about a 1/2 cup of dry white wine and reduced it down until it was evaporated. This gave the mushrooms and onions a little extra flavor boost. I put the onion/mushroom mix into the same bowl with the artichoke hearts, and set it aside again.
Next, I mixed the yogurt sauce in a separate bowl. The only change I made to the sauce was the addition of 1 minced clove of garlic, and a little salt and pepper thrown in for good measure.
For the eggs, I did end up changing the quantity. I used 3 whole eggs, 3-1/4 cups of egg substitute, and 3 egg whites. I cooked the eggs over medium low heat in the same skillet that I cooked the onions/mushrooms. There was still enough residual olive oil in the pan, so I did not have to use any other spray or oil for the eggs. Plus, the leftover fond gave the eggs an extra flavor component. I slowly cooked the scrambled eggs, and added the low fat cream cheese as indicated in the recipe.

I plated my dish by putting a big spoonful of artichoke, onion, mushroom mixture on the bottom of our dinner plates. Then, I heaped on a generous scoop of eggs and drizzled a little of the yogurt sauce on top. I served up some slice tomatoes and crusty french bread as side items. It was very light and totally yummy. Also, I think it ended up being a little healthier then the original recipe, since I omitted the bacon and used 3 less whole eggs.

The verdict: I will definitely make this dish again!

No comments: