September 7, 2008

Pioneer Woman's Favorite Sandwich (AKA THE BEST FANCY GRILLED CHEESE THAT I HAVE EVER EATEN)

Yes, that's right. This sandwich is the BEST fancy grilled cheese I have ever eaten. THE BEST. The best. No joke. The best. I am in no way overstating the issue...really, the best. The husband and the boy both confirmed that they thought it was the best, too. So there...the undisputed best-ever fancy grilled cheese sandwich. I will have dreams about this sandwich tonight. Sigh. The best!

Once again, Pioneer Woman knows her food. The woman is awesome! AND...I found out from reading her awesome website...that she is coming out with a cookbook next spring/summer. Can you believe it!!! A COOKBOOK! Seriously, I must own it. I already have an addiction to cookbooks, but a Pioneer Woman cookbook will make me an all out cookbook junkie. It will be mine.

So, we had this AMAZING sandwich with steamed cauliflower and some boxed cous cous for dinner tonight. Sigh. So good. We had a big lunch after church today, and then I spent nearly two hours at the local grocery store. I hadn't been in a while, and the husband offered to watch the boy while I went by myself. The key to that sentence (and a clue as to why it was a two hour affair) are the words "by myself". That's right. No toddler. No husband. Hooray for me!
Anyway, I did not feel like a huge dinner, and I have been dying to try this fabulous sandwich out. Oh man, am I glad that I did! It was the best...but I might have mentioned that before. I am not going to review this recipe, because I think I made myself clear about how great it was. Just try it...you will not be sorry!

Pioneer Woman's Favorite Sandwich (AKA THE BEST FANCY GRILLED CHEESE THAT I HAVE EVER EATEN IN MY ENTIRE LIFE...EVER)

Ingredients:

whatever type of sandwich bread you like...I used soft wheat (PW likes rye)
mild cheddar cheese slices
provolone cheese slices
sliced tomato
thinly sliced red onion
canned Hatch whole green chiles
1 Tablespoon of mayo
1 Tablespoon of Dijon mustard
Lots of softened butter or margarine

Directions:

1) For spreadable sauce: Thoroughly combine 1 Tablespoon of mayo and 1 Tablespoon of Dijon mustard in a small bowl.
2) Spread a very thin layer of sauce mixture on the inside of both pieces of the bread that you will be using to construct your sandwich.
3) Place two slices of tomato and some thin red onion slices on one side of the bread. Then, top that bread piece with 2 slices of provolone cheese and one or two slices of whole green chiles. Don't be shy with the green chiles.
4) On the other piece of bread, place 2 slices of cheddar cheese, and very carefully close your sandwich. Be gentle.
5) Now, spread a generous amount of butter on each side of the tops of the bread, not missing anything. Really butter 'em good! Seriously, use the butter...it is okay.
6) Heat a non stick skillet over LOW heat, and cook on each side (flipping once)...5 minutes per side. You can turn the heat up to Medium-Low (but do not heat past Medium) to get your desired brown/toastiness accomplished.

I started mine on low and then turned it up during cooking to get my bread nice and toasted. THE TRICK IS TO BE PATIENT AND NOT TURN THE HEAT UP TOO HIGH. I promise your patience will be rewarded.

Also, these babies are tricky to flip. Be careful.

7) Remove ooey-gooey delectable sandwich from skillet and cut into halves. Serve immediately. Say a prayer and go to confession quickly after consuming this masterful sandwich. They are so good you will feel dirty.

1 comment:

jenanderson said...

That samich is making my mouth water.