September 24, 2008

Tender Breaded Turkey Cutlets

I don't feel like being particularly witty today, since my son's behavior has been positively atrocious. I am worn out! I think it must be some sort of full moon or something, because he is really acting up today! Sheesh. Toddlers!!!! At any rate, I think I will just get into the recipe and skip the fluff.

This is one of my favorite things to do with turkey. The cutlet meat is sometimes hard to find, but it is worth the search. Since it is not very popular, it seems that stores sporadically carry it. I have found it only at Trader Joe's and Fresh and Easy...and not every time I go, just occasionally! The cutlet is one of the best parts of the bird...it always turns out moist and flavorful. I love that this is a relatively healthy dish that is totally satisfying and easy to prepare. I consider this meal a treat, since we do not come across turkey cutlets too often.
I think I will serve this dish with my garlic mashed potatoes (see previous post) and a side dish of steamed broccoli. Yum!

As promised earlier, I will just amend this post later to include both the results and a photo. I am not sure how exactly I am going to format the new changes, so I guess I will just see what looks best when I update this post tonight.

Tender Breaded Turkey Cutlets

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup Italian seasoned dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
4 turkey breast cutlets, 1/4 inch thick
1/2 cup fat free sour cream or low fat plain yogurt
2 tablespoons of Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon of light mayo
2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or canola oil

DIRECTIONS:
1. Mix the bread crumbs, optional spices (see Jen’s Notes below), and cheese in a shallow dish.

2. In a separate dish, mix sour cream (or plain yogurt), mayo, and Dijon mustard. Spread both sides of turkey with sour cream mixture and press into the bread crumb mixture to coat.

3. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Place turkey in the skillet and cook 5 to 7 minutes on each side, until lightly browned and cooked through.

JEN’S NOTES:
Optional: Breadcrumbs can be mixed with the following spices for extra flavor: onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, paprika (1 teaspoon of each added to breadcrumbs).

If you are having a problem with the bread crumbs sticking to the pan, add more oil than recommended in the recipe (either canola or olive oil).

If additional browning is needed, cutlets can be finished under broiler or in a 400 degree oven for a few minutes.



THE RESULT: This turned out really well, but I knew it would since we have had it several times before. It occurred to me that it is similar to Pioneer Woman's recipe for Crispy Yogurt Chicken, just with turkey cutlets instead. It probably tasted more like her recipe tonight because I used the plain low fat yogurt instead of the sour cream this time. The only other recipe difference was the amount of canola oil I used. I started out with 2 tablespoons, but for some reason my cutlets were sticking really bad. I was able to salvage them and still make them look decent by adding another 2 tablespoons of oil. This went really well with the mashed potatoes and broccoli, and my husband is very happy to have the rest of the leftovers for lunch tomorrow!

No comments: