December 27, 2008

Jen's Chicken Tortilla Soup

I am still decompressing from all the Christmas craziness. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Christmas...but afterward, I feel like I have a huge holiday hangover. I think it is because the excitement and anticipation build for a whole month, starting up right after Thanksgiving and going all the way through to Christmas day. Then, I wake up on the morning of December 26th and...WHAM!...buzz kill.

Seriously, it feels like all I have been doing is cleaning up for the past two days. Ugh. I am amazed at how fast my house slides into total chaos after just one holiday. Why is that??? Is it the extra garbage that is generated???? Is it because of all the presents that we have to find space to fit???? It it the extra food, cooking, and dishes that need to be done constantly???? I have cards, boxes, and opened gifts scattered throughout the house. While I am glad to give and receive gifts, I hate the mess! I consider myself a somewhat clean and organized person, so the extra clutter is driving me nuts. Every room I go in, I find stuff that needs to be picked up, put away, or thrown away. While as fun as I consider the holidays to be, I am glad that this season is coming to an end. I am looking forward to getting my decorations down, getting the house back in order, and returning back to my normal routine.

As you can tell, I am in no mood for elaborate cooking. We had an easy, low-key dinner of my Chicken Tortilla Soup last night, and I think it will be more of the same for the rest of the week. I think I may choose my upcoming dinner menu based on the least amount of dishes it produces (i.e. one pot meals). Also, I shutter to think what my daily caloric intake has been lately. I am not going to go into all the gory details, but I will say that I think I am going to need an intervention to get off the Egg Nog, French-Vanilla Kahlua, & Milk drinks that I have been having EVERY night with the husband, after the boy goes to bed. Nothing says "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year" like a new alcohol addiction!

Hmmm...maybe I can get some reading done once my family decides to ship me off to the Betty Ford Clinic...

Anyway, here is the recipe link for my soup.

Jen's Chicken Tortilla Soup

This is a standard recipe in my repertoire, and it is always yummy and comforting.

No comments: