April 7, 2009

Chalupa & Slow Cooker Pork Shoulder

About a month ago, I found a 8 pound pork shoulder on "manager's special" at the grocery store, for $7. I was so stoked to get such a huge hunk o' meat for such a great deal. I love deeply-discounted meat products! I decided that I was going to just cook the whole thing today, and then split up the cooked meat for different meals throughout the week. So far, I have three meals planned with my pork shoulder bounty, and two more coming soon. Depending on how sick we get of pork this week, will determine how much of the cook meat I will freeze for later use. Tonight, we are having this recipe for Chalupa. It is another one of my husband's family favorites, and it is really simple to put together. I will serve this dish with a side salad, and dinner will be all buttoned up!


Chalupa

In case you were wondering...here is how I cooked the pork shoulder:

Slow Cooker Pork Shoulder

Ingredients:
1 pork shoulder roast
1 bottle of your favorite beer
1-2 cups of chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste
minced onions to taste
granulated garlic to taste
onion powder to taste
Lawry's Seasoned Salt to taste

Directions:
Trim roast of all visible fat. Place in slow cooker fat side up with all ingredients listed (sprinkle all the seasonings on top of the roast, and then just turn the whole thing around in the liquid to flavor it up). Cook on 'high' for 4 hours, then turn temp. down to 'low' and cook for an additional 4 hours. Separate cooked meat out for other meals and store in fridge or freeze.

No comments: