April 8, 2009

Pineapple Upside Down Muffins

I recently found this recipe somewhere online, but I have no idea where (eek!). Usually, I like to credit where I find good things. However, no matter how much I back-track for the origin of these muffins, this recipe keeps eluding me. I even googled it; but I can't seem to find this particular one that I used. It's a little frustrating, to say the least!
Normally, when I copy a recipe I am careful to include where it is from, so I can give the author a nod for their intellectual property. It is really bugging me that I cannot find it! Ugh...I give up. If this is your recipe, I deeply apologize for not giving you credit. Truly, I am sorry and it will not happen again. Sigh. Also, if it is yours...please leave me a comment so I can sleep tonight. I can always go back and edit my post to show the proper credit.

As you may have guessed, I decided to bake today. I wanted to use a can of crushed pineapple that I had in the pantry and I thought these lovely, breakfast-y, muffins would be a great grab-n'-go treat for the family. Recipe-aggravation aside, these are a lovely little treat.

Pineapple Upside Down Muffins
By: Unknown (You are out there somewhere...)

Ingredients:
1/4 cup melted butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 8oz can crushed pineapple, drained
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup buttermilk
2 tbsp melted butter

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375F, grease 12 cup muffin pan
2. Spoon melted butter evenly into prepared muffin pan, sprinkle brown sugar over top, spoon pineapple over brown sugar, set aside.
3. In a bowl, Combine Flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon. Make a well in the center.
4. In another bowl, whisk together eggs, melted butter and buttermilk. Add quickly to flour mixture, stir just until moist and blended.
5. Spoon batter into muffin tin over pineapple. Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.
6. When cool, remove from pan and serve pineapple side up.

Jen's Notes:
I have bad luck with muffins/cupcakes sticking to my old pans, no matter how well I grease them. I think it is time for some new ones, but it just is not a priority. Today, I used paper muffin cups to avoid the whole 'stick-in-the-pan' issue. It worked like a charm!



The Result:
These are really yummy! Just like the cake version, only smaller and wrapped in paper cups. I have another can of pineapple, so I will be making more of these very soon!

2 comments:

jenanderson said...

Yummy!!! I will be making these in the next couple of days.

Sara said...

They look so good. I love upside down cake and never thought to make it into muffins.