April 12, 2009

Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice

Yesterday, was my son's birthday. Sigh. Three years old. It doesn't sound like he is very big...but to me, he is soooooo grown up. It does not seem that long ago that he was a sweet, little, helpless, baby that we were bringing home from the hospital. Now, he is so much more accomplished; it amazes me. Really, all the things he says and does just blows me away. He just seems so old. He is not even considered a toddler anymore...he is a preschooler! Double sigh. My husband and I just marvel at the fact that we: a)have successfully taken care of another human being for three years, and b)are full-fledged parents that are totally broken in. By that I mean, body fluids no longer shock and impress us, and we regularly refer to them in day to day conversation.

Anyway, with all the birthday hoopla we decided to do this easy, yummy slow cooker meal. It is one of our favorites, since it is healthy and stick-to-your-ribs satisfying. After a long afternoon at a three-year-old's birthday party we decided that this slow cooker meal would be the best route to take. Thankfully, we were right. We got home from my son's party and smelled the yummy smells of Red Beans and Rice when we walked in the door. All I had to do was whip up a salad, make the rice, and dinner was on the table. Yum!

Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice

This was the perfect meal for us yesterday. We all cleaned it up like starved wolverines...which is the highest compliment I can think of right now!

No comments: