I am still not exactly sure what I am doing for dinner. It has been a little bit of a harrowing day, so I am shooting for a uncomplicated meal. I have formulated a rough plan, but I am not 100% certain on exactly how I am going to execute part of it. The Veggie Cheeseburgers and Glazed Carrots are both items that we have had before...so no surprises there. I am trying to decide how I am going to make the Sweet Potato Fries I have in mind. Hmmmm... I think I will just play around with the seasoning and post the final recipe in my "result" post later. So for now, this is just a template for our dinner. I will let you know how it all goes! Here are my previous links:
Jen's Glazed Carrots
Veggie Cheeseburgers on Whole Wheat Buns
Baked Sweet Potato Fries
Adapted from recipezaar.com/recipe #43469
2-3 large sweet potatoes or yams, cut into fries
1 tablespoon of Chili powder
1 tablespoon of brown sugar
1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon of cumin
1 teaspoon of black pepper
2 tablespoons of corn starch
1 teaspoon of cinnoamon
1 tablespoon of garlic powder
2 teaspoons of salt
Canola oil to coat
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Put cut fries into large ziploc bag with oil and spices and shake to coat.
3. Once well coated, open bag and add corn starch. Shake again until all are coated w/ corn starch.
4. Place fries onto baking sheet leaving space between fries; make sure to use baking rack to elevate fries off bottom of baking sheet for crisper results.
5. Put in oven for 10 minutes and then flip them over.
6. Place back in for 10 more minutes.
7. They should be soft on the inside and browned on the outside.
8. Let cool for 5 minutes and serve with Spicy Lime Mayo.
Spicy Lime Mayo
Adapted from recipezaar.com/recipe #120459
1/4 cup of light mayo
1/4 cup of light sour cream
1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
1-2 Tablespoons of lime juice
Pinch of salt to taste
Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Refridgerate and let flavors combine for at least 1/2 hour before serving.
I call this meal "Ode To Orange Food" . Everything on our plate was orange! I don't know...it struck me as funny. This was a yummy and filling meal. As usual, I turned to RecipeZaar for ideas on the Sweet Potato Fries and I was not disappointed. The sweet potato fries were really flavorful, but I need to try and improve on the texture. They were a bit soggy. I think I will amend the recipe to cook them on a wire rack, so they get crisper. Also, I added a bunch of extra spices to make the fries my own. I will edit and post the original recipe to show my version. Other than that, this meal was really tasty and easy. I have a couple of sweet potatoes leftover, so I am going to try the fries again soon. The lime mayo was really delicious, and it paired with the fries perfectly. Both recipes are definite keepers!!!