November 29, 2009

Jen's Leftover Turkey Noodle Soup

My son and I are both sick again. It seems we have come down with a basic cold. Ugh...not to mention annoying. My nose is bright red from all the blowing! I feel like dirt, but he seems to have an endless supply of energy, despite his symptoms. Actually, I think he is on the mend, but I just can't seem to shake mine.
Since I am sick, I wanted homey, comforting, soup for dinner last night. My mother in law sent us home with a bunch of Thanksgiving leftovers, so I decided to morph those into turkey soup. My husband's family makes what I call "crazy Thanksgiving noodles" as part of their traditional holiday meal. Typically, I am not a fan of the noodles (they're not bad, just bland); but I found that they work really well in this soup application. My husband was happy that I have finally found a use for the "crazy Thanksgiving noodles" that I really liked. I didn't have an actual "turkey noodle soup" recipe to follow, so I just used my chicken noodle soup recipe as a foundation and went from there. I am happy to report that this soup turned out great. It was quick to put together, easy, and it really hit the spot!

Jen's Leftover Turkey Noodle Soup

Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons of butter
leftover white and dark meat turkey, chopped into small, bite-sized pieces
1 small onion, diced
1 stalk celery, diced finely
1-2 carrots, cut into small disks
1 clove of garlic, minced
1-2 Tablespoons of flour
1/2 cup of dry white wine
1 teaspoon of poultry seasoning (I used Paul Prudhomme's Poultry Magic)
1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme
salt and pepper to taste
4-6 cups of chicken or turkey stock
leftover "crazy Thanksgiving noodles" or cooked pasta of your choice

Directions:
In a dutch oven over medium high, saute onions, celery, and carrots in butter with a big pinch of salt. When onions are translucent, add garlic and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Sprinkle in flour over veggie mixture and stir to combine. Cook for 2-4 minutes, or until flour dissolves and makes a paste-like texture combined with the veggies. Add white wine to deglaze the pot. When wine is almost completely evaporated, add the turkey, chicken stock, poultry seasoning, thyme, and additional salt and pepper to taste. Bring to boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes with lid of dutch oven partially cracked open. Add cooked noodles, and simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy!

Jen's Notes:
Sorry, no photo. I am a slacker.

No comments: