January 26, 2013

Italian Chicken


I know I've mentioned before how much I LOVE Pinterest for a recipe resource, but it bears repeating. These days, I'm getting most of my new dinner ideas from there. The nice thing is that most of the regular websites I follow for recipes are updated on Pinterest. It just makes life so much easier when it comes to menu planning!

As you can guess, this is yet another Pinterest find. My family loved it, and it was something "new" to do with chicken breasts. I remember this being a little soupy when it came out of the oven, but that may have been user-error. I also remember not following the directions precisely and winging the quantities for this recipe. I have an aversion to measuring stuff. I had to drain a little of the liquid off before serving, but other than that, this was really great. My kids and husband loved it (even the artichokes) and it made for great leftovers; which is important at my house. I don't remember what we had as side items for this dinner, but I'm sure it was salad or vegetables or something.

Italian Chicken
From: Cookbook Recipes website via Pinterest

Ingredients:
4-5 tomatoes, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 can or package of frozen artichoke hearts
pinch of sugar
1-2 TBSP flour
boneless skinless chicken breasts (I think I used 5 total)

Directions:
1. Core and chop about 4-5 tomatoes.

2. Thinly slice two cloves of garlic.

3. Drain a small jar of artichoke hearts or use a bag of frozen.

4. Place all ingredients in a bowl and pour in a few tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, a generous amount of S&P, a teaspoon of sugar, a couple tablespoons of flour.

5. Place the tomato mixture in with the boneless skinless chicken breasts {that are generously seasoned with S&P}. Place in a 350 degree oven and bake until the chicken is almost done.

6. Take the almost done chicken out of the oven and sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the top. Place the chicken under the broiler for a few minutes {keep an eye on it!} until the cheese is golden brown and the vegetables are caramelized.

7. When you pull the chicken out of the oven, sprinkle some fresh basil on top and the heat of the dish will wilt the basil.

No comments: